Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm NOT DEAD! Sadly something else is!  (Read 16025 times)

Peter_Bingo

• Soldier
I'm NOT DEAD! Sadly something else is!
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:00:23 am »

^^

As you can read from the title of the topic, i'm not dead! (Gwynzer who would be worried because i haven't logged on xfire for the last 24 hours) but my computer has. On Friday I was playing BC2 with the guys and my power supply in my computer blew up. This is due to my stupidity because i have a program that montiors fans speeds/power on my computer and i change this too very low on friday morning (this is normally set to automatic), so i was basically playing bc2 on a 1.8ghz processor when it's normally at 3.0ghz. For the people that don't understand where i am going with this my computer overheated and the powersupply which powers the computer blew (i heard a bang sound)

At the moment i'm a little puzzled as too how much damage has been caused because strangely enough my motherboard has a light on it and it says it has power. I also have a desk light (usb) which i use and it some how gets power. I have tried powering the computer and nothing works, i have also tried changing power cables on the computer.

i'm now in the process of buying a new one and i need some help. 

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
Re: I'm NOT DEAD! Sadly something else is!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:10:05 am »

Sorry 'bout that, but I can't help you.

DKDexter999

• Danish man. Irish hero. Lover of beer.
  • Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Mobile Artillery driver
  • YES! It's me, in womans clothes - so laugh NOW...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:50:45 am »

Well, I think in the approx. 3 years I had a stationary computer I burned through 3 power supplies (although, that was through faulty wiring in the house :P ).

My best advice, is to *not* save money on it. If you're willing to spend a little more, you'll get one that practically does not make a sound. If it has to be a little cheaper, they make a little noise, but not too much again; not something that won't be muffled by a headset.
DKDexter999
-
The greatly exaggerated Great Dane

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:29:37 am »

Get an A brand. Do it!

I can suggest Tagan, Antec and darkPower. I have good experiences with those. Only had one Antec dying, and I used that one for about 7 years 24/7. Was a 350W model which made it to eventually power a Intel Core 2 Duo E4300. Pretty nicely done I'd say.

More ontopic: 600-500W is enough. No really, it is enough. Even my OC'ed Core i7 920 with Ati HD4870 with about 4-5 HDDs ran nicely with a 580W PSU. Only reason I changed it was because my dad needed a new PSU, which was a perfect excuse to get me a new one.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Benu_Kenobi

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »

Ouch.

When getting a new computer, don't get a cheap PSU, you'll reget it later (especially if you want to overclock).

So do what EWD said.
Corsair and Enermax are good brands, too. Don't go overboard with the wattage unless you run multiple cards in SLI/Crossfire or a Fermi.
Quote from: #blackintel
<%Gwynzer> fuck you Benu

Peter_Bingo

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:33:54 am »

Thanks for the help guys. The reason i went cheapy on the psu was because i didn't have alot of money in them days and this was my first computer build. I had a look on overclockers and ebuyer (UK sites) and i brought this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200491 - which blind picked out for me.

Ouch.

When getting a new computer, don't get a cheap PSU, you'll reget it later (especially if you want to overclock).

So do what EWD said.
Corsair and Enermax are good brands, too. Don't go overboard with the wattage unless you run multiple cards in SLI/Crossfire or a Fermi.

Yeah my whole idea was to go crossfire with two ATI 4850's (i have one at the moment and it's fine) but i didn't buy them because it would see better performance with a new 5850 or 5870, or even two 4870/90's. Well i have learnt my lesson!

Rig at the moment

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz)
Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 ATX
Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case
Samsung 500GB Hard Drive SATAII x2
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775
Sapphire HD 4850 512MB
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW/RAM/DL
LEGAL (Yeah i know about your version!) windows 7
1 back 120mm fan and a front 120mm fan
Hi-Power Black 800W 14cm Blue LED Fan PSU - 20+4pin 4x SATA 4x PCI-E - PIECE OF SHIT!

May 10, 2024, 02:52:52 am