Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The end of an era  (Read 34372 times)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
The end of an era
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:13:41 pm »

BlackIntel! HEAR ME!

It is true, what may of you have heard, the numbers have been declining, and as I speak, that number is dropping even more!

Believe me when I say, we have a difficult time ahead of us. But if we are to be prepared for it, we are to change first! I stand here now, truthfully unafraid. WHY? Because I believe something you do not? No, I stand here without fear because I remember, I remember because I'm here because of the path that lies before me, but the path that lies behind me! I remember that for 6 years we have fought the numbers, I remember that they have send their armies to destroy us and after 6 years of adminning, I remember that what matters most. WE'RE STILL HERE!

Today! Let us send a message to the community! Today let us shake the foundation. Today let us tremble the basics of this community! Let us be heard from guests to admins. Today let us make everyone remember! This is BLACKINTEL AND WE ARE NOT AFRAID!
Freely after
[/sub]

Either way, we have decided that it is time for change. It is time to change because currently BlackIntel isn't doing all to well. We want to change that, but it seems that we (the admins) are not capable of doing so. We do not have either the time or the creativity to set up new games successfully. This needs to change.

We have discussed this for a while and came to the conclusion that there are two options:
one is to shut BlackIntel down at a specified time, because we don't want to see it die down slowly.
The second option is that we step down as admins, to allow for a new structure. This is what we're going to do.

StealthEye and I are resigning as BlackIntel admins. We will still be involved, but in a different way. There will be another post about the new plans. In short, YOU are the ONE to CHANGE BlackIntel!
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

bloodynoob

• Patch
  • hurpa derp ?
Re: The end of an era
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »

here are my thoughts : BI is dead and i dont blame anyone of you... really most poeple have schools and jobs and i understand that . Persoanlly i had (well not me ) problems with few members ofthe community wich kinda lead me into " leavin " BI . poeple come and go but in BI case they all jsut disapeared it all started with C&C and FS dieng we had ou chances ( bc2,Bf3) although all the work that was put into thouse had really no results ... now changing the goverment of a couuntry that has 5 man "living" in it wont change nothing,
i think its time to let it go .communities come and go but poeple who you met while in thouse will allways be your friends , but community as a whole cannot stay alive without active members . Its sad that all this money and work that has been put into this community go . it really is the end now wasting more resources and time on trying to save something that can just disapear anytime wont solve it unless someone really has an excellent plan that can save this community ( changing who it is being run by wont chane anything) that was supouse to be done like 1 year earlier ? then i am going to listen to it

myn0ck

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »

yep.... BI ship is sinking and look... the rats are leaving the ship..

:o

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »

The rats are leaving, but the crew are getting into the lifeboats and taking part in the effort to build a new boat, with more crew capacity and a fancy ballroom.

The BI meet showed me that the community *is* still going, and that everyone really does contribute in different ways.  Going forward, we have a pretty major change in how we work.  Not all the changes will be immediate, but we'll certainly make a start on everything we can. See this thread for our future plans: http://forum.blackintel.org/index.php/topic,1404.0.html
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Run3

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:55 pm »

The rats are leaving, but the crew are getting into the lifeboats and taking part in the effort to build a new boat, with more crew capacity and a fancy ballroom.

The BI meet showed me that the community *is* still going, and that everyone really does contribute in different ways.  Going forward, we have a pretty major change in how we work.  Not all the changes will be immediate, but we'll certainly make a start on everything we can. See this thread for our future plans: http://forum.blackintel.org/index.php/topic,1404.0.html

Hear hear ! we will not go gently into the night, nay we will fight to the bitter end!!
It's not sport if it doesn't hurt!

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:55:13 pm »

yep.... BI ship is sinking and look... the rats are leaving the ship..

:o
If you want to view it that way. Apparently you have no idea what have been done by StealthEye or me to get to this point. We're not leaving. We will just not be the ones making decisions anymore, to allow new and fresh ideas to flourish.

Now you are more than welcome to use BlackIntel's resources for a new game if you come up with a decent plan.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »

Greetings BI, long time no see for many of you. Quick message here from someone who is not an official BI member, but received the email that no doubt everyone in the list got.

I've been in the situation before where a club/clan faces its demise. It's easy for members to blame the leadership, and its also easy for the leadership to blame themselves. After all, when you've been a part of something for a while and tried to do your best to steer it and keep everyone happy, its difficult to even consider closing it down.

Ultimately however, its not those at the top who are to blame, but the members themselves. If the members don't want to take up a new game that others are playing, you can't force them. If you host an event but your members don't want to take part, you can't force them. if they don't want to contribute financially (or can't) to the clubs needs and running costs, then you can't force them. As easy as it is to lay fault at those at the top, you all have to ask yourself, what have I done to help out and encourage other people to stay active?

Now I'm well aware that various people here have different opinions of me, I get on well with most while others are determined to do their best to try and pee me either to get a reaction or because they figure its the best way to look big on Teamspeak when in game. But that in itself kind of goes against ya. During the FS events when people have been utilizing (and many thanks for providing it) the BI TS server, how does it reflect on you as a group when pubbers see how you decide to group against any one individual, or begin verbally abusing them amongst yourselves? You cant expect to bring in a great deal of new blood if you give the impression of a club that participates in actions others don't agree with or perhaps even find offensive or just downright out of order. And again, it comes back to how the members rather than the leaders/admins conduct themselves.

BI is in a unique position right now, in more ways than one. You have the membership, experience and facilities to promote First Strike and ensure its continuance, yet from what I've read many of you have already decided that its dead or only has months to live. You had the greatest membership of any other clan that played FS and regularly turned out to play it, either amongst yourselves for the giggles, or during the community nights/clan wars etc to face off with the pubbers. Now, I don't know if its just personal circumstances among each other, or if its how certain actions and individuals have been met from the FS team, but that's dwindled sharply and I don't mean recently. But I think that now more than ever both groups could benefit greatly from each other. Your presence on the servers will help promote FS as having an active community, while at the same time may rejuvenate BI's gaming spirit and camaraderie.

As I said, I'm well aware of how some around here view me, so I expect to receive some flak back disagreeing with elements or denying anything ever took place on either side. But if your that deep in the poo maybe now is the time to remove the blinkers and decide on a course of action together.

shippo

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:19 am »

Anyone want to play WOW? (Thanks to my sister I've been sucked in to the 11 million lost souls)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:08:37 am »

MMOs are something I personally want to experiment with expanding into (Very easy to expand a clan thru an MMO, the problem is getting the MMO players to try other games :P), however I really just don't have the time to play those games.  I'm (personally) not really interested in WoW either.  StarTrek Online, or The Old Republic, however.... I'm still on the fence about getting sucked into one of those.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:47 am »

Twigs, you have my support for FS until the end. I still think that FS can get new players, maybe we are just doing something wrong, not enough promoting or whatever. I must say, I haven't been on  the servers very much, I will try to rectify that.

Also, I've been mapping almost daily, albeit in small amounts, and my first map should be ready for the ICW when it starts. If the ICW doesn't get the numbers we want, I'll commit as much as I can to the machinima script I started on. That could be a huge popularity boost (potentially).

Also, the FS facebook page needs updating. Wouldn't hurt to get an official First Strike youtube channel either. If we can stay in touch regularly with the community, things should go better. And, something I've always wanted to do is, take some BR footage of some games, and just have commentary from those who played said games. You know, discussing what they tried to do, how they failed, etc. That would go on the youtube channel. Maybe some dev commentary on videos of various WIP stuff.

I have ideas for BI too, but I'll wait a bit before talking about them.

Hey, someone has to be optimistic here!  ;)

SamZi

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »

Didn't even know we were losing peeps. Who exactly is confirmed to be gone? Or is this just another 'quiet time' and people make assumptions? (Edit: or is it mainly the Renegade section dying out for good?) Nevertheless, it's not smart to emphasize on the clan dying too much. It's pointless defeatism. It's obvious that the admins need a break and I can grant them that and a bit of change can't be bad.

How I like to view us is a laid-back multi-gaming community. Personally I don't see a major need to commit to a certain game clan-wise unless something really popular comes up. BF3 had that potential but things have quietened down. There wasn't enough events organized in the early stages and maybe people weren't really into that but whatever.

I'd say we need to cut our expenses, mostly server-side (BF3 maybe?) and generally continue as normal.

Also it's a bit unreasonable to let Gwynzer and the other admins pay for the whole shabang basically. Everyone should partake with what little they can spare, regularly. And this is also where cutting expenses really comes along. With how things are it'd be smart to concentrate on the essential servers and forgo any unimportant ones, if just temporarily. One thing that could be done is down-grading the BF3 server to 32ish players if it hasn't been done already. The small clan server could go unless it came as a freebie which I recall it did.

In any case this all seems like a bit of an over-reaction which reflects to the replies of some of our younger members. Take it easy peeps, it's not the end of the world.

PS. Current MMO's are shit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:39:01 pm by SamZi »

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »

It's not as much people really leaving, more that there aren't any new people joining and older members are taking less initiatives themselfs. I think we as admins might have been able to put more effort into this if we had more time.
Since we haven't we have decided that we want to reward new member initiatives by granting them a new and level playing field on which they can build their ideas.

It is not that we'll be leaving. Far from it, StealthEye and I will be helping out behind the scenes when asked. Also we will have the option of removing a game-admin if he's damaging the BlackIntel name. It's just that we will take on another role, moving from organizer/initiator to support.

Hoopoes

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:24 am »

Okay, first of all, I've never been much of a forum kind of guy (I'm sure most of you have noticed that), but you guys have been my pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I've been absent for a while now due to my mic being broken plus school and such. just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for that.

First when Benu introduced me to BlackIntel, I was certain that this was the place for me, and I still am! I will not see BI go down, at least due to (or lack of) my actions. I realized it is time to
īget my gunī and stand up for any threats we might face! I'm aware that this might come too late, but I'm here still to try my best (bought a new mic) and I wish to see BlackIntel live on, be it futile or not.
LONG LIVE BlackIntel!

Love ya guys! Let's at least go down with a bang!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:06:09 am by Hoopoes »

Hoopoes

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:57 am »

That just might've been the first post that I could actually pour my soul into.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:53:11 am »

We're not to late, if we act quickly and with resolution. It is however of the utmost importance that members do want this. Admins can do a lot, but if there are no people to make it fun, nothing will help.
Pages: [1] 2

May 05, 2024, 04:56:55 am