Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: UK Therapist: "Two Hours of Gaming is Equivalent to a Line of Cocaine"  (Read 25064 times)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver

Two hours of video games is equivalent to a line of cocaine, UK conselor and therapist Steve Pope estimates in a breathless report on gaming addiction recently published by the Lancashire Evening Post (via GamePolitics).

"Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces," Pope says. "It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally, as well as leading to physical problems such as obesity."

Pope says he deals with teens who skip school and steal to play games, and that some play for as long as 24 hours straight. He also suggested that game addiction can "spiral into violence" when players "turn their fantasy games into reality."

He says ominously after noting that he is working with a grandmother who is reportedly addicted to online poker and a granddaughter who is addicted to Facebook, "The poisioned chalice is being handed down through the generations."

The article also holds up as an example Premier League soccer players who are reportedly banned from games 24 hours before a match because of the "natural high" leading to poor performances on the field, and quotes one mother who says buying her son Call of Duty was like buying him "his first shot of whiskey."

The article concludes by emphasizing the need for balance in one's life. Senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Central Lancashire Gayle Brewer says, "It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games."

Sound advice indeed. In the meantime, how many "lines of cocaine" did new releases like Red Dead Redemption provide for you over the weekend?
I guess Cocaine isn't as bad as I though it was....  ::)
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Blind3001

• Havoc

I read a report that said these kind of reports were unreliable.
Also, the last part about Red Dead Redemption, about 5-10 lines.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:41:14 pm by Blind3001 »

[17:14] Thomas45: Star Trek Scotsmen
[17:14] Blind3001: Scotty!
[17:15] Thomas45: beam me up gwynzer

DKDexter999

• Danish man. Irish hero. Lover of beer.
  • Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Mobile Artillery driver
  • YES! It's me, in womans clothes - so laugh NOW...

I read a report, that stated that reports stating reports are unreliable, can't be trusted as the stated report, states the unreliable stating. Or something...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-1-2010/the-uninformant-
DKDexter999
-
The greatly exaggerated Great Dane

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver

I particularly find "and quotes one mother" very decent proof. If that is his research, wow, his report has to be true! (The) Pope must be right!

"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver

I think we've discovered a new way for drug addicts to kick the habit.

Instead of detox, just some intense gaming sessions.

2 hours of Call of Duty followed by 2 hours of Fifa 10. To be taken twice daily? :D

DKDexter999

• Danish man. Irish hero. Lover of beer.
  • Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Mobile Artillery driver
  • YES! It's me, in womans clothes - so laugh NOW...

Gaming. Just say no.

DKDexter999
-
The greatly exaggerated Great Dane

March 29, 2024, 05:32:50 am