Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RenX server shutdown, what now?  (Read 30997 times)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
RenX server shutdown, what now?
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:48:25 am »

As you might have noticed, we've shut down our RenX server a while ago. We've done this because we failed in updating the server regularly enough, but also because there where too many servers available for RenX when we hosted it. At this time there are 6 servers online, which would be 7 when we would restart it. The only way for this to be useful would be if everyone would have renewed interest in RenX.

A different option could be hosting a UT3 server, as we did before it became RenX. An UT3 server could be an success, but again, only when BlackIntel people want to play on it.

We could also host a totally different game if we could interest more people that way. If we are going this route, it would be important that this game would be a fairly new game (prefferably not older than a few months at most) and has a decent server listing (and dedicated server).
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
Re: RenX server shutdown, what now?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:34 am »

BFBC2 is out in a few months.  It would be nice to have a server for that, but DICe said they aren't releasing server software to the public, and even if they were, only licesnsed server providers can offer ranked servers, so that's a no go for BI.

As for UT, I don't think there was ever much interest in it.  Continuing with it as a server/clan section doesn't have much point.  We need to find a game which gives us a chance to allow us to become a rather major server if we put the time in, as well as a game that is also popular.  It's finding that game (and having the people who own it) which will be the real task.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:56:44 am »

True, but I'm willing to invest in a game of which I think is fun, has dedicated servers and has the possibility to get BlackIntel new members. Depending on the price of the game we could possibly organize a team of people that try to get the new server popular and running decent, by buying the game and playing it on the BI server.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »

I agree with Gwynzer, we need players who have interest in the game, if we don't, there's no point in hosting a server. We also need someone who has enough time to organise things and make sure everything keeps running, this was clearly lacking in RenX, because our server probably failed to show up in the listing for quite a while until it was noticed/reported, and I'm not quite sure whether it did in the end... Either way it wasn't updated so if it did it wasn't really useful anyway.

If we don't have someone with enough motivation and time to lead some section and at least some interest in the game for existing members, imo, we shouldn't replace the RenX server with anything else. We can reconsider RenX maybe, since it improved a lot over the first public build, but I don't see anything else potentially working out...

shippo

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:57:17 pm »

I would like to point out that even though a game may be new it is not necessarily going to be popular in the long run. I am asuming that most games considered here are a first person shooter? there are many of these and the basic consept is still the same, the only difference in the the varying games is different characters an graphics desine. anyway for me I would love to see a Mechwarrior 4 Mercinaries server, mabie for gamespy  :)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:12:30 pm »

Dunno.  The 3 FPSs' we've supported are all vastly different.  Renegade is a teamwork-encouraging Base Attack Shooter, UT3 was a fast paced run-and-gun shooter, and FS is a tactics/combat based subconcious-teamwork shooter.  The basic concepts between the 3 are pretty different, so another FPS could be pretty manageable.

I think the main issue here is finding someone willing and able to lead the section.  Is there anyone else available in BI to do that for a game which we've never supported before?

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »

Well, the idea is to use a new game as a way of getting new players for BI servers and thus new people on the forums. If we would start with a server pretty soon after the new game was/is going to be launched, then we would be able to make the idea work.
As said, I'm willing to invest in this, meaning that I don't have a problem with buying a new game, and perhaps that I could even give it as a present to someone else. All this just to get some new blood into BI.

Because of this, I don't think Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries would be a good idea, it's too old. Though I must say, I did like the game :)

Oh, and it doesn't need to be an FPS, it would just be a logical choice since other game types generally don't have a dedicated server available.

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »

Was my post split or simply deleted?
I was wondering that yesterday myself, Goz.
It was both offtopic and already discussed in another topic, hence no reason to split. It was also the third topic this was brought up in so it didn't add anything either. If you really want to, go bump the other topic.
Back on topic now here anyway, don't want to derail this.

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

For your consideration guys, thought about Aliens vs Predator or waiting out for Medal of Honour? Admittedly, not sure on what kind of server support these games will provide, just throwing them out there since they are games I know a few people are looking forward to.

Only thing is, it means waiting for those games and/or finding something else in the meantime until more information is provided for them.

Call of Duty 4? I'm sure a few people are still playing that, you could even look at hosting one of the mods available for that as well.

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »

CoD4 was snubbed before the UT3 server was launched. As koss2 have a CoD5 server....
CoD4 is also incredibly popular and would be difficult to make it a successful server.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 10:08:30 am »

I still propose we support BFBC2 as a clan (I know that at least 5 BI are getting it on release), we just can't have a server for it on our box (I'll get one from a dedicated server host myself).  The beta is out right now, and I'll have BI tags on - this game is also only a little different from FS so I can still staff over that section too.  I think it's released in a month or something, so we won't have to wait too long before we start seeing some results in member counts, especially with it being a new game.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:46:01 pm »

Eh Gwynzer? I though you said it didn't have dedicated servers? Or how exactly does it work?

Blind3001

• Havoc
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 04:12:39 pm »

It has dedicated servers, but only on server providers like multiplay and stuff.

[17:14] Thomas45: Star Trek Scotsmen
[17:14] Blind3001: Scotty!
[17:15] Thomas45: beam me up gwynzer

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:13 pm »

Ah, only people how pay loads to EA get to host servers :r Stupid console concept.

reborn

• Engineer
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

Just steal the a0 nicks and dive back into renegade.  :P
Pages: [1] 2

April 23, 2024, 10:03:50 pm