Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Teamspeak 3  (Read 48494 times)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
Teamspeak 3
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »

Temporarily, we are swapping to TS3 to test it out.  If we like it, the Ventrilo servers will be shut down.  We'd like you all to try it out with us so we can get an opinion from a larger group rather than just the FSers.

The connection details are: ts.blackintel.org:9988  You can download TS3 at www.teamspeak.com

EDIT: If you want to have Text-To-Speech (User joined channel/left channel etc) in the same way that vent has them, download THIS and follow the instructions.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:41:42 pm by Gwynzer »
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

goztow

• Havoc
Re: Teamspeak 3
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:27 am »

It's a great new piece of software. Defo test worthy :).

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:58 am »

We want to switch to (once again) having 1 unified voice server, as we think it helps integration between different sections. We hope you'll enjoy the new server ;)
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:16 am »

I am already leaning towards abondoning Vent for TS3.  The improvement over TS2 is amazing, and there are a few codecs on TS3 that have identical (slightly worse for some, slightly better for some others) sound quality to the Ventrilo GSM codec.  There is also less lag between speaking and other people heating it compared to vent.  TS3 also has a 3D sound feautre similar to mumble (Random Fact: Vent was the first system to try a 3D sound thing, but it isn't very easy to use and doesn't work quite correctly) allowing you to position where certain users sound like they are speaking from.  With the clever people we have at BI, I could imagine that TS could be customised to work with surround-sound-positioning ingame like there has been done for Mumble.

There have only been two issues I've had with TS3 so far, one being that I can't use my left windows key as a PTT button (You also can't disable the PTT button so it only works in TS, from what I've seen), and the admin controls are awfy complex.  Both of these issues are minor, and the majority of people will NEVER have to use the admin controls so there is really little problems here.

Even some of the "grumpier" FSers, who are stuck in their ways and were unwilling to try out TS3 just because they are used to vent are liking it (after me disabling all talking, channel switching and the ability to view other users in Vent3 that is, forcing them to at least try TS), so it's looking incredibly likely that I will be cancelling the contract I have for vent within the week.  However, before I do that I *would* like the opinion of others because I will keep the Vent server up if a large group doesn't wish to switch, but before you say you don't want to switch you must at least give TS a try.

And now the top-jobs can't say that I didn't choose mumble just because I was used to vent. There were reasons, and I stated them!

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:31:37 am »

About the windows key: you can work around that by binding it to scroll lock with a AutoHotKey script. I did the when I was still using Vent too, because sometimes Vent wouldn't discard the hotkey properly so it opened the start menu once in a while...

I agree with the admin controls, that needs some getting used to. Especially the permissions system is awfully complex. Other than that, I like TS3 very much.

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50:23 am »

The permission system isn't that complex if you don't touch it :P. Just use the predefined groups and you'll be ok :). In the end all you need are normal user, server admins and maybe channel admins anyway :).

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:49:14 pm »

How about you give us a couple weeks to decide? I don't have internet access on the desktop computer because we have to reinstall our antivirus. I'm using the laptop right now.

Blind3001

• Havoc
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:02:59 pm »

We're trying it out for a week, Sly, so you'll have some time to test it when you're back :)

[17:14] Thomas45: Star Trek Scotsmen
[17:14] Blind3001: Scotty!
[17:15] Thomas45: beam me up gwynzer

dhdc

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Havoc
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »

i prefare the simplicity of ventrilo. and the voice quality of vent.
allot of people are like, i like ts because it has all these features i can do this and this
but at the end of the day noones gonna use most of them.

for example 3d sound people are like thats amazing look what you can do but in fact their not the first ventrilo did it its always been there just the interface is easier to follow in ts.
and what actually use would you get out of hearing 1 person from behind you and the rest to the sound (unless you have fantasies with that person :))

iv got to admit im abit biased dont like anyother voip and ventrilo is like home for me. mybe its me just not ajusting to change as good as other people we'll have to see after the week if it changes my opinoin
Gaming Events attended: (iseries) -I37, I40, I42, I43, I45, I46, I47, I48 and I49
Steam: dhdcste

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »

http://syckaudio.com/gwinnie/Vent%20TTS%20TS3%20Soundpack.zip

This is a soundpack I've developed which import very similar style Text-To-Speech events as Ventrilo.  The TTS Soundpack that ships with TS3 goes into too much information and you start screaming for it to shut up.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:07 am »

i prefare the simplicity of ventrilo. and the voice quality of vent.
allot of people are like, i like ts because it has all these features i can do this and this
but at the end of the day noones gonna use most of them.

for example 3d sound people are like thats amazing look what you can do but in fact their not the first ventrilo did it its always been there just the interface is easier to follow in ts.
and what actually use would you get out of hearing 1 person from behind you and the rest to the sound (unless you have fantasies with that person :))

iv got to admit im abit biased dont like anyother voip and ventrilo is like home for me. mybe its me just not ajusting to change as good as other people we'll have to see after the week if it changes my opinoin
With the auto volume leveling I think that TS3 is at least just as good as Vent, but most likely better for 90% of the people. As volume has always been an issue.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »

Would love to hear the opinion of some others before decided to shut down vents.

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

Tis annoying to be poked when in game.

Although not a BI member I do occasionally hang out on your vent server, so I realise that my opinion won't carry much weight, but since you often invite the First Strike public players on to help their gameplay experience I shall carry on.

Still got to play around with TS a little more to get the volume about right, just like vent it can be difficult to hear people over the game sounds when in space. Those pesky fighter engines do tend to get in the way :P Ultimately, I think many peoples reluctance to change is due to laziness, ie they don't want to use a new programme when they have alredy got used to another. Ultimately, both programmes to me are the same, they allow me to communicate with the guys I play the game with. TS works well, so does vent, but from what I've seen so far TS seems to provide a little more in the way of customisation. I think it also appears to create less 'chat lag' than I have experienced in vent. For that reason alone I think it's worth sticking to TS.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »

It is true that it has less chat lag.

Also, we like to switch to a solution that we can host of our own, and have as much as possible costomization without too much hassle (like we need with vent.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:20:07 pm »

The decision is being made to swap to TS3 tomorrow(tuesday).  Come on peeps, if you've not tried it yet, try get on tonight for a few hours so you can voice your opinion.  If you like/dislike it I recomend mentioning it ASAP before the decision is made to shut down the servers.

@Twigs, you know that your opinion carries weight in matters like this, as a Regular player on BI servers and a friend of BI(most the time) in FS. I've told you, so stop pretending you don't know! :p

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

March 19, 2024, 06:17:00 am