Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Server and webserver move (again)  (Read 75456 times)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
Server and webserver move (again)
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:29 am »

As you might have heard we have a small conflict with TransIP. Basically the problem is as follow: we've apparently used too much power off their powergrid, more than allowed by the contract. Now they charge us extra for that. All this is pretty fair, but the thing that troubles us the most is that they just started doing this since November. All of the sudden we're using too much power. Not any single warning or whatever. I e-mailed them asking for some leniency for the first month, because we never knew how much power our server was using.

Because of this, we'll be moving our server to a new colocation provider which should provide us with enough power for a decent price. Basically we'll be paying 45 euros a month instead of the current 55+23,50 (overusage) = 78,50 euro. The only downside of this is that our server will be down when we move it and ,even worse, we need to pay December both to our old provider as to our new provider + setup fee at our new provider. We expect that this will cost us about 180 to 200 euros which kinda sucks ;). Because of this huge amount of money we're once more asking for your donation. Even if it's just 5 euro it'll help out, we would appreciate it greatly!

Since we're moving the server. our website would experience downtime. Since we dislike having both our gameservers and webserver down at the same time, we're planning to move the website to Sep76's host before we're going to move the server. We expect to do this somewhere this week/weekend. The moving itself can be done pretty fast, but the DNS update could take some time to get through (up to 24 hours) so don't be scared if our website is down all of the sudden.
During the website downtime you will still be able to visit us on IRC (scroll down a bit) where you can have a chat with us if you want :).

When we have a fixed date for the webserver move we'll post more! The game or main) server will probably be moved on December the 12th, but that's not yet confirmed.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
Re: Server and webserver move (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:10 pm »

The website should not have any downtime actually, during the DNS update period, the current website will still be accessible. The forums will be placed in read-only mode or maintenance mode however, because otherwise new posts placed at the old/current host will not be available on the new host. If we can we'll do something even smarter and keep forum downtime to a minimum (only a few minutes)... We can't fully guarantee that though; so if things are down you'll know why. :)

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:50:55 pm »

I think I might donate. Have to ask my parents permission first though (sigh).

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:55:09 pm »

If it'd be of any help, we could cent an email to your parents explaining what it is we do and how we spend your money. It could also help your parents understanding what you're doing on the internet all the time ;)
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:44:26 pm »

Or I could just tell them on one of the many conversations I have with your mother on Vent, sly :P
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

Or I could just tell them on one of the many conversations I have with your mother on Vent, sly :P
That might be an option too, but I can imagen that it helps when the one who receives the money explains what he/she would do with it. Particularly in the case where it is something 'unknown' like a website.

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »

I was thinking about donating but i dont own any of those cards that are in the donate list :P is there any other way i could donate ?

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:06:51 pm »

Bank transfer is an option, so you would transfer money directly into my bankaccount. This is within mainland europe also the cheapest way of transfering money.
A different option would be to snailmail the money. S0megeeza once send me 70 euros by snailmail.

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:54 pm »

i think banktransfer would work :P and if it doenst snailmail would work lolz

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »

You got a PM.

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:17:02 pm »

alright ill try to donate asap but i gotta do some work now :D

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »

A different option would be to snailmail the money. S0megeeza once send me 70 euros by snailmail.

Hehe, I remember that photo. 
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

dhdc

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Havoc
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 05:17:31 pm »

i would donate but because of Christmas i am out of money i have £2.80 if you want it pm me your pay pal ill send it but thats literally everything i have
Gaming Events attended: (iseries) -I37, I40, I42, I43, I45, I46, I47, I48 and I49
Steam: dhdcste

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 06:07:31 pm »

Well, I wouldn't want to make you broke so....

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 07:28:29 pm »

I'll see how my Christmas bonus and wages turn out (Dec 23rd), and probably donate then. Which will be too late for this project, but it's still money and hopefully can go towards something nice :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

March 19, 2024, 09:24:43 am