Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Renegade X have set a first beta release date  (Read 24206 times)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
Re: Renegade X have set a first beta release date
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 08:54:33 pm »

My Negotiations with RenX didn't go to well; they don't appear to have thought their release strategey to well.

People who are mirroring RenX have to wait until the official release to gain a copy of RenX - this means all the people that want it will be downloading from the same place.  They are also releasing server software at the same time as the client, so instead of having servers "Ready" as soon as release comes, players will have to wait for a little longer for more servers to appear.

Not planned well at all, imo.  Even FS managed better than this, and the dev team there fails pretty bad :P
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 01:07:20 am »

So when it's released all will be downloading from one server?
I really don't see a problem with this. At most.......200 people will be simultaneously downloading it.

Server side software is a problem though, they really should release this prior to the client release :/

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:51 am »

My Negotiations with RenX didn't go to well; they don't appear to have thought their release strategey to well.

People who are mirroring RenX have to wait until the official release to gain a copy of RenX - this means all the people that want it will be downloading from the same place.  They are also releasing server software at the same time as the client, so instead of having servers "Ready" as soon as release comes, players will have to wait for a little longer for more servers to appear.

Not planned well at all, imo.  Even FS managed better than this, and the dev team there fails pretty bad :P
It's actually very smart. They'll have their "official" server up and will get a length of advance towards other servers.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 08:46:00 am »

@ Liam  - depends on if their server can handle allowing that amount of downloads, at a decent speed.  First Strike suffers from low population, but even over >6 mirrors we had a few capping out when the latest version was released.

@ Goz - Yes, I see that, but overall it's a bad strategy.

If they dumped their server with the title "Official" and had their beta testers sitting on it come release, they would have a big enough advance to make their server primary.

Freeworlds tied this once: One Server updated and working when the patch was released, the patch was released the same time as server software.  This involved full (and at the time, laggy) server which drove some off from the very start because they couldn't get a gameOR the game wasn't performing to well.  It's good in concept, but doesn't always work out in practice: we'll see.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:04:17 am by Gwynzer »
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 09:13:51 am »

I'll talk to Fobby and try to convinve him to at least make sure that there are mirrors. Not that we specifically need to be that mirror, but that we would offer one at least. This because we know that otherwise our server + Seye + me + shitloads of others will be leeching from their server.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!
Pages: 1 [2]

April 29, 2024, 04:34:04 am