Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: Router search  (Read 16120 times)

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
Router search
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:36:14 am »

well with our new internet we need a router for some fucked up reason :P

well do you guys now some good routers not too expansive ofcourse :p

speed internet:  100Mbit/s down and upstream if that is needed lol :P

MacKinsey

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Patch
  • /nick Fabi
Re: Router search
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

Ehh Router or DSL Modem?
Normally you cant connect with a normal Router (for example a Linksys WRT54G) not to the internet
With a DSL Modem that has a Router integrated (there are very much of them) you can connect to the internet.
If you want an easy to configure dsl modem with integrated router with some powerful features i would say get a AVM FritzBox. The Best Models are the fritzbox 7170 and 7270.
They are supporting VoIP; Sharing USB Printers and other USB Devices over Network (it just has an USB 1.1 Slot, so watch out).
You can plug your telephone in, if you have a 7270 you can even connect DECT Phones directly to it.
So many features.

BUT as far as i know there isnt a Dutch GUI, the normal ones have a German one, but you can change the language with some other firmware to english.

I have added you a Screenshot of the Main Menu and the Energy Saving Menu

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:00:34 am »

ehm the problem is we tryd connecting 2 pc's on that modem and it didnt work and the guide said that if you want more pc's with internet that you need a router lol

but ill look at those things lol :P hehe

MacKinsey

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Patch
  • /nick Fabi
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:41 pm »

OK
I think the pcs are connecting with the internet and not the modem.
By the way, you can connect up to 131 PC's to the fritz!box (127 with wifi and 4 with Network) and more if you use a switch

^Back of the FritzBox 7270, the only difference to the 7170 is that the 7270 has a N Draft WLAN and DECT.

Whats your current modem if i am allowed to ask

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28:12 pm »

What kind of modem do you currently have? Since you have a glass fiber line, it's unlikely that you need a DSL modem/router. :P

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:36:56 pm »

i dont know the name i do know that its like 3 in one thing :P internet phone and tv :P so

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:05:02 pm »

Step 1. Pick it up.
Step 2. Rotate it so that you see some product code or name or whatever.
Step 3. Read it.
Step 4. If this is possibly a product code or other identification string, post it here. If not, go to step 2.

If you can not find it there, look for it in the manual or something.

8)

VickVenom

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
  • FAIL . Epic? ,Yes!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:50:08 pm »

the almighty seye :P well i will tomorrow i need to learn for frikking biologie (i know it ill only take like what 2 min to rotate a frikking modem and shit but well boehoe :P lol )

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:00 am »

You probably have a modem that connects to the net but that can only connect to one devie (be it a PC or a router) at the time.

What you'll need it any kind of router to kind of split that one entry into 4. You should be able to find one for around 40 €'ish, wireless included if you want that.

Just go to your local computer store, explain them that you have the Internet with xxx and that you want to connect more than one computer and the manual says u need a router. If the guy knows anything about computers, he'll be able to help you out :P. Don't go to a big store though, those are just salespeople, really.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:18:45 am by goztow »

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:09:26 am »

Basically what he needs is a router with a WAN port, to which he should connect his modem,then connect the computers to it, and configure it, if necessary. He would need a quality roter because otherwise, he will never get near 100 Mbit/s
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

April 28, 2024, 11:18:47 pm