Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Web hosting and domain registering.  (Read 24138 times)

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
Web hosting and domain registering.
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:22:36 pm »

Hey :)  I'm finialising parts of my portfolio and I'm almost ready to go online. I thought I'd ask the BI folks for some insight here.

When deciding on a host, I thought that i really would like my new domain on a new host, as I really wouldn't want my online portfolio (which will be viewed by potential employers/customers) connected to my other domains. Plus I haven't actually purchased my new domain name yet as some hosting packages come packed with 1 domain registration.

So any suggestions? :) 
I think 1gb web space will be enough, with at least 10/15 gb of bandwidth and 5 email addresses.
I have found one package with basically what I need for $19.99 a year. Which is an absolute steal, as now I pay $91 for hosting alone.

So is there any better offers out there? Basically I'm just looking for some guidelines. Who to go with, who not to go with? Are these said "packages" a good idea? I understand you guys use transip, have anyone been with other companies and can rate them? googling anything regarding web hosting pulls up millions, and i'd like a human response if possible :P

MacKinsey

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Patch
  • /nick Fabi
Re: Web hosting and domain registering.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:33:16 pm »

The Specifications of your package are looking like my ATBHost Specs
http://atbhost.net/plans.html
PackagesFree HostingPost-4-Host 1Post-4-Host 2Ad Supported
Diskspace1 GB5 GB10 GB10 GB
Bandwidth10 GB50GB100GB100GB
E-mail Accounts1105050
Mysql Databases10255050
FTP Accounts10255050
Add-on Domains10255050
Posts Required010/month (5 to order)20/month (5 to order)0
All of the following features come standard with all of our packages:
Apache 2.2.11
PHP 5.2.9
MySQL 5.0.51a w/PHPmyAdmin
Sendmail
Perl
CGI
Frontpage Extensions
Traffic analyzer
Cpanel 11.24.4
Installatron Script Installer
Its completly ad-free, speed is very ok.
You can configure very much (like on a paid hosting), even your own 404 and other Error Sites (not often at free hosters).
A Domain isnt that expensive.

EDIT:
OK. I dont know your deadline, but the registrations are currently closed, i just saw it
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:35:34 pm by MacKinsey »

Trace

• Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Havoc
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:40:41 pm »

Usually it is the lower the price the worse the host.
I have had some cheap host in the past, but the speed wasn't that good and the support horrible.
Now I have a very nice host, its servers are really fast, since I know those guys I have a service which no hosting provider can beat, but they are overall quite good. They aren't cheap tho. Its 8 euro/month for the 1gb packet you want (excl domain name).
Service has its costs ;)

Trace
[23:58:41] <~EvilWhiteDragon> I want to go to town and get drunk
[23:58:53] <~EvilWhiteDragon> why wont any of my friends answer my sms
[23:59:15] <Trace> cuz u dont have any friends?
[00:02:12] * You were kicked from #BI-Moderators by EvilWhiteDragon (FU)

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:58 pm »

Our domain is registered with LeaseWeb (and we used to rent our dedicated box there too) and our current server is hosted by TransIP. We are very content about both. I think TransIP is mostly targeted at dutch customers though, not sure about LeaseWeb, but at least their site looks more English. ;)

I think most hosting providers are pretty decent, try looking at sites hosted by them if possible. Just make sure they offer the things you need though (a recent version of PHP, MySQL, space, FTP access, etc) my guess is that everyone supports that nowadays anyway though... :P On the domain thing: if you get it with some hosting package, make sure it's not bound to that or something... You may want to switch hosts sometime, but you probably don't want to lose your domain. Domain names are usually pretty cheap anyway so it's not all that important to buy it in one package. I'm not exactly sure what would be needed to bind the domain to your hosting (the host probably needs to change some configuration or you need to do it using some web interface or something), that is something you may want to check.

DKDexter999

• Danish man. Irish hero. Lover of beer.
  • Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Mobile Artillery driver
  • YES! It's me, in womans clothes - so laugh NOW...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »

Whatever you do, don't use Cybercity!

I did that - and I rented 10mb serverspace, then 10 months after giving up connecting to the server, I got an e-mail saying "oh, sorry, the FTP IP-adress you had gotten was wrong, hence your site haven't been working - this IP-adress should do it: <IP-adress>. We apologize for the inconvenience."

When I asked if I could get a refund, or the next 10 months for free, they turned me down with the reason, that in fact it was all along MY FAULT! >:(

So whatever you do, **DO NOT** use Cybercity!
DKDexter999
-
The greatly exaggerated Great Dane

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:17:40 pm »

I wouldnt want free web hosting, as ads definitely wont look good at the top of and surrounding my portfolio. One very important thing though is speed, (with lots of images and maybe a flash loader) so I guess i really shouldn't skimp on the price then :/

To be fair what I have now is very cheap considering what I get. But like i say i really do need something different as i dont want them to be connected. Same with my domain name, I usually purchase domains from domainsite.com and there i know how to set them up with the host but anywhere else im afraid i'd be very lost and I cannot buy from domainsite or else again my new domain will be linked to my existing ones.

Leaseweb looks very good; you get a low of bw but again the price is very "pricey"
It's a mine field trying to choose, the hosting company i currently use is hostgator who do get a ton of bad reviews yet I find no fault with them. (apart from price >.>)

StealthEye

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:33 pm »

7/month isn't much different from what you have now is it? Or am I missing something? :P

For speed, make sure you get something hosted nearby (assuming you're not planning to get a job in China for now ;) ).

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:50 pm »

7/month isn't much different from what you have now is it? Or am I missing something? :P

For speed, make sure you get something hosted nearby (assuming you're not planning to get a job in China for now ;) ).

China someday! :P
The thing is I have to keep my current hosting up, at least until another 7/9 months, so I'll be paying for both. If i could back out of that I'd be fine and just grab a £5 a month deal again.

Trace

• Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Havoc
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »

http://core-07.com/
Site is in dutch, but if you need any help you can email them in English ;)
I am very satisfied with what they offer, and it is a lot faster then my connection ;)

Trace

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:35 am »

The fact you need 1 GB of webspace makes the price go up. Companies that offer 1 GB of webspace for a very small price simply count on the fact that a lot of their customers will not actually use their full webspace. So they put, e.g. 1.500 customers on a 1 Terrabyte HDD. Same with bandwith: if they promise you unlimited bandwith, then be sure you'll get a warning if you start using 200 GB per month. They'll hide behind a fair use policy.

That's why you're better off going a bit more expensive.

I personally also do some webhosting reselling but for this kind of package (1 GB HDD + 20 GB bandwith + 10 e-mail adresses), I'd probably have to ask you around 15 € per month all taxes included and domain name included, though for the first year I could probably make that half.

Quality usually comes with a price :).

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:23 pm »

The fact you need 1 GB of webspace makes the price go up. Companies that offer 1 GB of webspace for a very small price simply count on the fact that a lot of their customers will not actually use their full webspace. So they put, e.g. 1.500 customers on a 1 Terrabyte HDD. Same with bandwith: if they promise you unlimited bandwith, then be sure you'll get a warning if you start using 200 GB per month. They'll hide behind a fair use policy.

That's why you're better off going a bit more expensive.

I personally also do some webhosting reselling but for this kind of package (1 GB HDD + 20 GB bandwith + 10 e-mail adresses), I'd probably have to ask you around 15 € per month all taxes included and domain name included, though for the first year I could probably make that half.

Quality usually comes with a price :).

That's really generous and If im working full time again soon I think I will take you up on that offer.

Regarding size again, I'm really unsure if i will be needing 1gb, for my portfolio will be something like 50-200 images (200 in the future *wishes*) But there are always files that I need hosting every now and then, just things that crop up. For instance my PS tutorial videos. I'll check my current server for how much i use there.

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:58:17 am »

I unfortunately need to limit that offer to the month of May, but other actions might be possible later on :).

LeeumDee

• Honorary Ex-Member
  • Medium Tank driver
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:16:12 am »

Ah that's understandable indeed, not a problem at all. I'll wait until my current host expires then I'll get in contact with you :)

Trace

• Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Havoc
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »

On the site I posted the package Gozy offers is 8 euro/month, + 10 euro a year for domain name (including tax)...  ;)

goztow

• Havoc
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 03:57:30 pm »

On the site I posted the package Gozy offers is 8 euro/month, + 10 euro a year for domain name (including tax)...  ;)
But they don't have Gozy ;).

I'm just telling u what I offer, I'm not claiming to be anywhere near the cheapest but I can offer some customization towards what u need.
Pages: [1] 2

April 27, 2024, 02:06:06 pm