Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: E3 2014 - Monday  (Read 42993 times)

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
E3 2014 - Monday
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:00 pm »

So, what games are you looking forward to? What was your favorite moment, press conference, etc.?

Basically, let's talk everything E3 that happened on Monday. I'll make a thread like this for each day during E3.

So far, I've got my eye on Mirror's Edge, anything Bioware, and of course, Star Wars Battlefront.

Sadly, I haven't watched any of the press conferences today, nor will I, as Monday's companies are not really my favorites. Maybe Sony will have something interesting to show/say, especially if it involves the mythical The Last Guardian.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:15:23 pm by Slyfox_Elite »

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
Re: E3 2014 - Monday
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:57 pm »

Star Wars Battlefront by DICE!

Yay... not

I mean just look at Hardline. Or BF4. Bollocks.

Anyone get any decent vidyas of the streams?  I'm unable to watch them live and have yet to find a good vod of it.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:35:37 am »

What's wrong with Hardline? Different setting, different developer, I think it looks decent.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:30:55 am »

It looks like BF4.

Ati

• Patch
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:48 am »

Games I'm hyped about: The Witcher 3 (loved the previous 2 games), GTA 5 for PC (yay!), Star Wars Battlefront, Bioware games.

Trace

• Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Havoc
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:35 am »

The new Assassins Creed looks pretty nice, I always love their cinematic trailers.
[23:58:41] <~EvilWhiteDragon> I want to go to town and get drunk
[23:58:53] <~EvilWhiteDragon> why wont any of my friends answer my sms
[23:59:15] <Trace> cuz u dont have any friends?
[00:02:12] * You were kicked from #BI-Moderators by EvilWhiteDragon (FU)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:03:30 pm »

It looks like BF4.
On the other hand, if it is based on BF4, I'd say most bugs should be squashed by its release...
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

YinYinYa

• Patch
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »

Battlefront looks cool for first look. We'll see. But Witcher look fab! Def ganna get that one for sure.

Ati

• Patch
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:25:56 am »

Also, almost forgot, another game I'm really excited about is No Man's Sky:

matsif

• Medium Tank driver
  • Sanity is for the weak
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:05:10 am »

-I haven't played the witcher series, but CD Projekt Red is creating the game Cyberpunk 2077 based off of the P&PRPG Cyberpunk 2020 that I'm heavily interested in.  Unfortunately they aren't showing anything at E3 about it :(  Witcher 3 stuff looked cool though.  I picked up the first 2 when they were on sale on steam for like $5 for the pair, just haven't had time to play or even install them.

-Battlefield: Flatline would have been a free mod for BF42/BF2/BF2142.  EA Redwood (also known as Visceral Studios) hardly tried so far as I can tell.  Definitely not spending AAA title price + premium for a mod.  They literally took BF4, changed some models, changed some gun mechanics, and that's about it.  5 years ago this is considered a DLC pack at best.  As a reminder, Visceral made the BF3 DLC End Game, which was probably the best DLC as far as maps for BF3, but it was still BF3.  They have a bit of experience in FPS games.  I'm just not excited for this because of how it's being marketed against what it actually is.

-Battlefront I'll probably end up getting, but it's going to end up following the Battlefield premium model because EA is involved, unless Disney forces their hand (which I doubt).  So long as EA is involved, I'm hesitant about anything DICE does.  It's being built on the frostborked engine which has been broken so long as anyone on PC has been able to use it (BC2), so I'm expecting the same network sync issues and other bugs that we've seen with BC2/BF3/BF4.

-Bioware's looks at ME4 and such were ok, but I'm just as hesitant with them as I am with any other developer owned by EA.  Their quality really dropped off with DA2 and SWTOR.  ME4 is being made at Bioware Montreal instead of the main studio in Edmonton, so we'll see.  Studio in Edmonton is apparently working on a new IP altogether.

-AC:Unity looked ok, but if it loses some of the open world parts of AC4 I doubt I'll enjoy it as much.  AC4 was the first AC game I truly enjoyed because I could just go be a pirate and not care about the story, while the other games were much more heavily story driven.  Not that they had bad stories, I just couldn't really get into them as much as some.

-Bungie's console thing Destiny is essentially Halo mixed with Borderlands.  Being console only at this point means I doubt I'll even get it as I doubt I'll get a PS4, but it didn't look half bad either.

-Metal Gear Solid 5 looks just as solid as the previous games in the series, but same as Destiny I'm not getting a PS4 over it.

-Rainbow Six: Siege looks like what BF:Flatline wanted to be, but a lot better because it's a Rainbow Six game and therefore will likely actually require teamwork and tactics.  The Division (another Tom Clancy title) looked neat as well, hopefully all the delays to it payed off.

-No Man's Sky looks cool, but I doubt I'm going to be heavily invested in it since I'm already heavily invested into Star Citizen, which promises a more polished (but not as procedurally generated, and therefore smaller) universe.  Will have to look at it closer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:10:22 am by matsif »

Woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died

matsif

• Medium Tank driver
  • Sanity is for the weak
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24:14 am »

On the other hand, if it is based on BF4, I'd say most bugs should be squashed by its release...

BF4 still contains bugs that were in BC2 (released in 2010) and BF3 (released in 2011) that are inherent to the engine.  Until they sit down and actually polish frostborked, it will still be buggy.  Considering the engine's been around since 2008 (BC1), that's kinda embarrassing considering the amount of games they've developed with it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:25:54 am by matsif »

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »

^That.

And by "looks like BF4" I am saying... "Is that BF4 it looks just like it!" I don't expect it to be working better than BF4 because it IS BF4.

matsif

• Medium Tank driver
  • Sanity is for the weak
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:24:12 pm »

The more I see about Rainbow Six Siege the more I like it.  Used to play a ton of Rainbow Six 3 and Rainbow Six Lockdown on PS2 and a bit of Vegas and Vegas 2 later on my brother's Xbox 360 when my PC wouldn't handle them at the time.

The destruction is stunning, even for a series that had lower levels of destruction even early on.  And the games have always been great fun from a teamplay standpoint. 

Looks really promising.  Of all the "next gen" modern FPS titles, it's definitely my favorite so far (compared against BF:Flatline and the next COD, which is a bit more sci-fi).  Not going to compare it against Battlefront because they are going to be so different on many more levels than the previous 2 listed, but compared to those 2 it looks like a much better game.

Taeng

• Patch
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »

Stayed up until 4:00am Monday only to get Uncharted 4 instead of The Last Guardian.

Anyway, even having only played the beta of BF4 this Battlefield Hardline ''game'' just looks like a re-skin and I can't really imagine why anyone would be excited for this. If any of the recent Battlefield games supported modding then I feel this could easily have been achieved by the community by now. For them to say this has been in the works for nearly 10 years and in development for the past few years seems like a joke. I don't know much about the current state of BF4 but from what I hear it isn't good. Releasing this game just seems like putting salt on an open wound for BF4 players. Feel free to shout me if I'm talking out my arse.

GTA 5 finally coming to PC means that I no longer feel the need to buy a console, though TLOU Remastered is enticing, maybe a Wii U with it finally getting games.

No Man's Sky also looks incredible and gets me very excited even though they basically showed the same thing as last year with an added 30 seconds of footage. Those biomes look amazing and so colourful but my only worry is about how samey those biomes might become.

I think both ME4 and Battlefront are to early in development to form an opinion on yet, hence the dev videos instead of a trailer or gameplay footage although we did see a Krogan (hype!). I think that this is a good thing for both. Both franchises have very large and passionate fanbases and I think it would be very irresponsible to rush either of these games at risk of being flayed by the fanbase. I like to think that Dice and EA understand the weight that the Star Wars/Battlefront franchise carries, though it would be reasonable for anyone to think otherwise from recent experiences.

Also as someone who was a rabid fan of the Halo series that bundle makes me very moist. The sheer value this bundle offers is astounding, no doubt to increase Halo 5 purchases when it launches and also will make for a great collection to bundle with the Xbox One. You don't have to have any interest in Halo or Xbox to acknowledge that this is great value and a great move by Microsoft to get newer players to experience the earlier Halo games and to get them excited for future ones. Though sadly they didn't include the best Halo game, ODST, because it didn't include Master Chief, don't worry ODST I still love you!

Speaking of things that make me moist Rainbow Six: Siege was a pleasant surprise, I absolutely love the franchise, well except for Vegas 2, let us pretend that the game doesn't exist. The destructibility of the house got me very excited, also the fact that it was 5 mins of actual gameplay instead of a tease trailer gives me hope for the game. Also anyone that complains about the actors in that video are idiots.

There is probably lots more to talk about but I've bored myself let alone anyone foolish enough to read this dribble.

matsif

• Medium Tank driver
  • Sanity is for the weak
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:38 pm »

There is probably lots more to talk about but I've bored myself let alone anyone foolish enough to read this dribble.

I read it all :P then again I'm admittedly a giant fool.

ME4 is definitely too early on to form an opinion, there's hardly anything done there from our perspective.  While the ending of ME3 probably turned a lot of people away at the time, it's a solid IP and if given proper time to develop it will still be a great game.  The major shortfall of ME3 was Bioware stealing all the writers for SWTOR, not the gameplay itself.

Battlefront on the other hand any BF4 player has known that it's been DICE's focus since the Naval Strike DLC released for BF4 in April, and was in development before that.  Frankly I expected a bit more considering the release date being tentatively in about a year (Q2/Q3 2015 is noted).  That alone would frighten me as a fan of the series, even if I hadn't played any of the Battlefield games on the engine and had a bad taste in my mouth from it.

As to the fanbases, I think if EA screws up Battlefront there will be a witch hunt for them.  DICE will take a lot of heat if they screw it up, but as DICE is owned by EA (who is currently all of DICE's management), if they screw the pooch heads will roll.  Either by Disney or the Star Wars fanbase or both.

Pages: [1] 2

April 19, 2024, 07:44:48 pm