Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: FS 1.6  (Read 22553 times)

RSF_Angel

• Patch
FS 1.6
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:25 pm »

any thoughts?

I think the space station level requires some serious rethought.

The way the icons overlay on the map it's really hard to see where you're supposed to go.
It's easy to get lost in there and heaven help you if you spawn at the wrong point- so much walking.

That and the lambda and sentinel are useless if there's so much as one Xwing- they can frag you from kilometers away, and even if there isn't, you have to LEARN which hangar to land at, and the lasers might get you there too.

The only strategy that works is the rebel strategy from mos entha- crash a capital ship in there to cap the point.

Other maps seem ok, though the space conquest one could do with LOSING ALL THE STUPID LASER MINES
Also rearming bombers at the repair places- I flew out there to dump a load of torps into a constantly repairing capship and now what?

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
Re: FS 1.6
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »

I'm really not too sure what they did with Parmel Assault... I think we had a version in BIFS which solved a few of the weird problems they have... like the flag icons/spawn buttons being at the side of the map screen with things like "Floor 15, Command deck" or whatever as their name. Weird.

Clan members see this thread.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:43:46 pm by Gwynzer »
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »

All issues that should have been solved in testing I know, and all points that were made but overruled. I personally am not a big fan of parmel assault and can name a few other things I'm not hot on. But thanks for the vote of confidence as the only mapper/coder currently doing much over here at FS towers.  :( The fact that I've managed to cure many of the server stability issues seems to have gone unnoticed, as does the work on co-op by myself and Dnamro. Can't please everyone though and even financed games have some backlash. If you have comments or suggestions, post them on the forums, its more ammo for me to get Talon to change things.

Anyways, the reason I have revisited BI is to say thanks for the upload Gwynzer, and that I look forward to potentially seeing some of you over the weekend. I'm guessing that is a BI server now showing on the list? Thanks for that as well if it is, I'll be there tomorrow night, also tonight if anyone wants to play some rounds.

Oh, and I also got an email from Neko a few days ago saying Gwynzer had contacted him with some issues, sent you an email to try and find out what was going on but got no reply.. Now I feel ignored.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

Parmel is a fantastic idea, but it's an idea of such scale that it's very easy for something to go wrong during its development process. I think all of the individual mechanics (Space deployment, Space -> base, base fights etc) are pretty spot on, they just don't meld well together.  Some of the minor annoyances (like choose flags) I can look past because I know exactly how much of a nightmare that map is in the editor.  When I made an attempt I basically got as far as placing the flags then went "Fuck this." and moved on.

I'm not sure what happened to the other exit though... I'm sure you used to be able to enter the base from two pads.

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »

Last model we got from Red had only one accessible pad. Its a model that still needs some work tbh, causes some frame rate loss and its very jerky to move around. I've also noticed what looks like a ventilation shaft you could potentially enter, but has one side blocked off, so don't know if he ever had some intention of utilising it somehow.

Hopefully though if we get more feedback we can do something to make everything work that little bit better.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

That shaft was intended to be destructible, unfortunately from what I remember the grate is currently part of the surrounding model, not a separate object itself so it destructibility wasn't able to be put in. At the very least, RM wasn't familiar on how to make it happen. It was meant to go hand in hand with all of the controllable doors in the station that were in his original plan.

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:50:02 am »

Possibly. Oddly enough I wanted to make this objective based with destroyable assets, eg server stations that the imps had to destroy to prevent the rebels obtaining the secret TIE plans. This would have meant only one or two flags (and we could have even removed those from the map for clarity) so you just had to select a spawn. Alas, it was vetoed :(

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »

That's a shame because that's how the map was originally meant to work. I think RM intended that the Imp objective was to destroy the base and they were meant to board it so they could destroy a sheild generator and then overload the reactor or something. Once the shield was down it was also going to allow the space assests to be able to do damage as well.

April 26, 2024, 07:04:10 pm