Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Computer borked- help!  (Read 39622 times)

RSF_Angel

• Patch
Computer borked- help!
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:40 pm »

Got home from work to find the computer already on. Sat down and the screen flickered as it turned back on.
Then it flickered and died a minute later.

It will start in safemode and it will start in regular mode without the graph card drivers installed.
I reckoned it was the drivers(I[ve had a problem with drivers before that acted similar, rolled them back to solve) but I'm not sure the card hasnt gone and died.

It could have been some windows update so i'll probably reinstall win and see if that helps.

Thoughts?
Geforce GTX 560 Ti

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
Re: Computer borked- help!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:37:13 am »

Reinstall is probably your best bed right now. A driver clean and reinstall is also an option, but as you already mentioned, there are other possible causes as well.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:51:47 am »

Spent a lot of time on chat with a nvidia person. She reckons the vbios is corrupt.
She pointed me to a bios installer that executes in windows.
Unfortunately, the gpu needs to be active for the bios installer to work- if the motherboard gpu is operative it won't recognize the card.

This is problematic because whenever the gpu is active windows doesn't display.

Any ideas? What would help is a script that would run this installer and then restart the computer- before login, that would not Work in safemode (so I could disable it when it did it's job)

What would also help is a fairy god mother and/or liberal amounts of sorcery.

The card is covered by warranty but this is Brazil- I might need to send this thing to Sao Paolo to get it looked at, or even back to Ireland where I bought it.

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »

I'm not sure if it will work, but maybe if you install teamvewier on your PC when the GPU isn't active, then use a second PC to connect to that one via teamvewier when it is active will work.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:23 pm »

I'm not sure if it will work, but maybe if you install teamvewier on your PC when the GPU isn't active, then use a second PC to connect to that one via teamvewier when it is active will work.

That sounds plausible.
Teamviewer doesn't rely on gpu does it?
You volunteering?

Wait... I'd have to somehow launch teamviewer when the gpu is active.  That's not doable at all
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:56:18 pm by RSF_Angel »

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »

Windows doesn't boot without an active GPU, so I think it wouldn't work. You can hoever make a bootable DOS USB drive and make it auto-execute a (blind) vbios flash. Among overclockers this is a tried and tested way of recovering a bad bios flash.

Edit: with a second GPU you may even be able to do it without the blind part: http://www.bjorn3d.com/2010/05/flashing-your-video-cards-gpu-bios/

Edit 2: for all kinds of recovery or low level tasks, I can recommend Hiren's BootCD (on a USB stick though :P). You can find it here: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and the how-to for the bootable USB version: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/usb-booting/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:22:17 pm by EvilWhiteDragon »
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:19 am »

Am I gonna void my warranty with a bios flash?

Also, is there a chance it could go horribly wrong or is it fairly straightfwd?

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:21:39 am »

A BIOS Flash? It's easy, just open up the side of your PC case, get your GF to lift up her shirt in it's general direction, then try turn on your PC. Simplez
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:43:35 am »

A BIOS Flash? It's easy, just open up the side of your PC case, get your GF to lift up her shirt in it's general direction, then try turn on your PC. Simplez

Wife not GF.
And that was the first thing I tried.

I was shocked, SHOCKED when the graphics card did not start working and the ram did not double in size.

will the You Ess Bee method described earlier void my warrantah tho?

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

Am I gonna void my warranty with a bios flash?

Also, is there a chance it could go horribly wrong or is it fairly straightfwd?

Well, it shouldn't void your warranty, assuming you flash the right BIOS for the card. Since nVidia suggested it, I think you should be good In any case, if it does void your warranty, then the windows flashing would've voided it as well, as there is no real difference (except that DOS flashing is considered a bit safer in general and certainly more flexible). Windows flashing needs to work within more boundaries (like primary GFX etc).

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 07:32:09 pm »

which one of these in the bios- flash or rom ?

i opened the exe using 7zip to get at the bios but i don't know which one it is

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:22 am »

*.rom files are probably the BIOSes, although it seems rather small. Where did you get the BIOS?

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:31:49 am »

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »

I checked and I guess that both .rom files are (a?) BIOS.

RSF_Angel

• Patch
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »

Could one be for audio and one for video?

Man I need to learn 2 bootusb

Last time I made a boot USB it was to install windows- remarkably straightforward.
I'll look at the tool you suggested and see if I can find tutorials
Pages: [1] 2

March 29, 2024, 09:46:34 am