Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: BlackIntel: Our Future  (Read 18476 times)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
BlackIntel: Our Future
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

Hello Friends, prepare for the long read!

As some of you may be aware, there have been talks recently of the possibility of changing the structure of BlackIntel.  Many of you can see for yourself that our current formula isn't really working - we have hardly grown at all for a long time, and people are actually starting to leave.  We had our first BI meet in the middle of last year which was a great success and good fun for all, so we know we still have people interested and people who care.  It's these people who keep BlackIntel going, and it's for you guys that the staff team have worked tirelessly (about 5 minutes, guys?) to come up with a new way of working, in an effort to revitalise BI, and make things as fun and community-building as possible.

New Organisation

One of the more significant changes, which will become relevant later, is the Admin Team, as seen in THIS thread are stepping down, and taking less active role in running the server, working primarily in a "support" role.  I will be taking some of their responsibilities, however this will be shared among a few other people. This will be explained in more detail later, as this will impose a significant change.  Clan Wise, I am also stepping down as "Leader".  With our new proposed structure, there will not be a set "Leader" as before.

From here on out, we plan to have a "Game Leader" for each game we play.  This person will be in charge of general server administration and maintenance, and also the main organiser of events for that game.  I will continue, for now, as Game Leader of First Strike.  This is hopefully more of a "retirement" role, keeping our support going for the game until it dies.  It makes more sense for me to stay in this position than to appoint a new Game Leader to a dead game.  About three months after a new person takes a Game Leader role, the advisors/other leaders will have a meeting to discuss whether or not they are still fit for the job.  If the Game Leader hasn't done much, we'll either drop support of the game, or find someone else willing to step up.  This also applies for our current new Game Leaders.

Slyfox will be taking the new Game Leader position of Battlefield 3.  Currently we feel that Slyfox is the person best able to handle this new situation right from the start. As you'll see later in this post, other members can apply for new games and positions as well.  Personally, I'm very confident in his abilities and he'll probably do a better job than I.

We intended to drop support for C&C Renegade since it has been inactive for a long time, however lavakill wants to try to bring back some life to the section. He will lead the section and, as mentioned above, in three months the staff and advisors will decide whether to continue it or shut it down. Even if we drop clan support, we will continue to keep the servers running.

The former Admins and Game Leaders will form a type of "Advisory Board".  It's goal is to, as the name suggests, offer advice on how to run a section, and helping to fix any problems that may arise.  The Game Leaders are more than free to ignore their advice, we will only intervene if we feel they are maybe damaging BlackIntel with their actions.  For the most part, Game Leaders can lead their games in any way they see fit, however we do want a certain level of quality in leading and we want to maintain a friendly atmosphere and may intervene if we detect problems.

Ranking Changes

The Clan "ranking" system is also being changed around a bit.  Current "Recruits", you go by that title no longer, as it is shitdoes not adequately describe your role in BlackIntel.  You're now classed as "Members".  Admittedly, nothing really changes for you beyond the title, but it is much nicer.

The current "Full Member" title is being replaced by "Senior Member".  These members will have limited game administration abilities across all of the BlackIntel supported games. Senior members may also get special privileges such as reserved slots - this is undecided as of yet.  The powers granted are more aimed towards keeping games fun and balanced.  The suggested commands are things such as team change and kick, however it is up to the Game Leader to decide what level of access senior members have.  Leaders may, for example, decide that all senior members should have almost full admin access, and maybe they'll even grant regular members kick access.  Some leaders may decide they only want a few people to have any access at all, and not allow senior members to be able to use any commands, which leads me onto my next point:

Game Leaders can also appoint moderators for their game.  Moderators are Game Specific, and will have whatever server powers the Game Leader deems necessary for them to have.  I suppose these are a form of "Game Lieutenants" or something.  It can be hard to run a server on your own, but Game Leaders may not feel comfortable with just "anyone" being able to fiddle with server settings.  Moderators will fill this gap.

We hope that the changes in the structure and ranking will be a lot clearer to both current and new members. It may not look like that right now, but we're pretty sure that, when put into practise, this will benefit the community.  I don't think anyone (including me :P) is really sure as to what differentiates a "Recruit" from a "Full Member".  Also, because the new system actually defines Senior members having server access, compared to before where I just picked and chose who had what privileges based on what was needed at the time, we will most likely be changing peoples ranks from what they have now.  Please don't take offence at this, we'll be trying to make the fairest decision.  If you do have a problem with a rank change, please let me know and we can discuss it.

Growth

With the new rank system, we want to get more involvement FROM our members.  As a community, we want to grow, which firstly involves our members being more interested in taking part.  We want the "Senior" rank to indicate that the people holding it have put in some work and/or love of BlackIntel in one fashion or another.  We show our appreciation for this effort by giving a member more trust, and a little more responsibility. 

Helping to plan events; taking an active part in any planned activities; being a server regular and helping populate; contributing to forums discussions and coming up with good ideas for BI's future; or even just showing you are capable and trustworthy enough to not abuse the commands.  These just some of many options for advancement.

We also want to expand in to new games once our new structure is set up.  If anyone has a good idea for a game to move to, make a suggestion. If you come up with a nice and detailed plan, then we're more than willing to let you run that game.  We are willing to back up any good ideas with any required access to the BI Serverbox.  We (or "I", given how we're working at the moment :P) may also be willing to make a small financial backing for new games if we see it being very advantageous to BI.  Perhaps by buying copies of the game for people who would otherwise struggle.  This type of support will only be done in cases that we view as extremely promising for BlackIntels future. 

We realise that in the current situation the moderator and admin positions have not changed for quite a while, thus not motivating people to invest time in BlackIntel. We hope that by this new initiative people will feel more inclined to help BlackIntel grow. Particularly because we want to have a nice and relaxed community, where everyone can feel at home.

Conclusion

In Brief: The Admins are stepping down from an active role, and forming an "Advisory" board.  Server wise, I'll be stepping up a little, and I'll be moving to the side/down as far as the "clan" is concerned.  Slyfox will be taking Leadership of BF3, and I'll continue with FS for now, until it dies.  We're revamping the ranking system, most notably granting increased privileges to Senior Members. We want people to take more part in the community, and help us expand more in our current games, and into new games. We will be granting out more Game Admin rights to those who show they are willing to run a game.

All in all, we're signifying this as a new beginning for BlackIntel.  Personally, I'm really optimistic to see how this turns out.  I hope that by taking a more passive role in the clan, and allowing others to take charge, it will lead to very interesting ideas, and a more welcoming atmosphere than having an Angry Scot screaming obscenities about cartoon ponies. We will have more announcements on updates to other systems in future, but this is enough information for one day.

I want to wish good luck to and Slyfox and lavakill in leading their section, and everyone who changed roles! We look forward to any new initiatives!
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
Re: BlackIntel: Our Future
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:18 pm »

Something I failed to mention above, is that everything we've planned is still open to change.  If anyone can think of a better way of structuring BI, we're more than happy to hear it.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

I'm supriced that the ideas seem to end up in the StealthEye and me leaving topic instead of here. As Gwynzer states, these are ideas. Ideas that will not work unless we have the community's support. The community is you and you are the community!
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

ShadeSlayer

• Patch
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:00 am »

After reading SamZi's post in the other thread, I agree that we should cut costs. I think a lot of money is being wasted on empty slots. I also think we could probably get by without a BF3 server, when there are plenty of great, populated servers out there. I say that the BF3 section of BlackIntel should become an squad of whoever wants to play, get on teamspeak, and go play on a popular server. Surely, if there were BI guys on other servers, kicking ass in general, people would start to gain interest, and maybe we could get recruits. I think that for now, the BF3 server is an unnecessary cost.

I would also like to comment on First Strike. I do not believe FS is dying. It just needs to be encouraged and promoted more. I think that now, especially, is a good time to bring a new life to FS with the old Star Wars movies being released in 3D. I personally love the how the 2142 engine feels in game, but I have dreams of moving the game to a new engine (possibly a custom one) that could embrace the current feel, but allow for more a more vibrant modding and creation community. I think that once the people with the awesome ideas can create their own content, the First Strike realm would explode. I would be one interested in a development of this sort.

Shade

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:15:22 am »

Costs at the moment, aren't really that much of an issue, at least they aren't related to the posted problems. Our BF3 server had a years lease, and overall we just about break even (evil?) with donations.  If we do start to have financial troubles, we have a new donation plan which is being discussed, and should make donating more worthwhile in future.  For now, money is fine.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:47:38 am »

Currently costs aren't an immediate issue, but they were for a bit when we got the BF3 server. I think it is hard to get off the yearcontract AND get our money back. Therefore I would prefer us to try and get the game going rather than giving up on it already. If in say a few months time it is indeed not possible to gain playercounts there I don't mind trying to get some money back, but I'm not counting on that working out.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:52 am »

There's also now the fact that we have a new game leader for BF, who'll be more proactive than I ever was in getting people playing, and organising events.  This may hopefully mean more players on our server.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:13 am »

Exactly why I want to wait for a few more months.

ShadeSlayer

• Patch
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »

Agreed. Slyfox has already sent me a xfire message about a BF3 match upcoming.

Twigs

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:17 pm »

Creating a custom engine for FS is an interesting idea, but we really don't have anyone on the team with that kind of expertise. It would also likely create other problems with regards to licensing etc from LucasArts, given that the team's original agreement was only to create a not for profit modification. That said, if you have any skillls with regards to creating models, texturing, coding etc we're always keen to bring new blood in.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:32 pm »

You could use the UDK, which is free. And it can't be worse than Renegade X: Black Dawn on the UDK...

April 29, 2024, 08:59:16 am