Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 and much needed donations  (Read 19421 times)

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
Battlefield 3 and much needed donations
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

As you'll all probably know, BF3 is set to come out pretty soon now. The release date is set at the 22 of October and we would like to run a full 64 player server. I know this might seem over the top, but hey, we want to provide the best gameplay experience possible and we believe the best way to do so is by having a server that supports the maximum amount of players.

However in the last year the donations to BlackIntel have pretty much dried up and we're quickly running out of resources, even without the "need" for a BF3 server. Effectively we have about 51,66 Euros in the BlackIntel funds. Since we currently pay about 40 Euros a month for the server + about ~3 Euros a month for domain names etc. It isn't hard to guess we'll run into problems at some point ;) Of course we're not going to shutdown BlackIntel, but since we want to invest in a BF3 server as well, money will be a bit of an issue.

Budget
We plan on renting a full blown 64p BF3 server at www.i3d.net for at least 6 months but preferably for 1 year. The costs of this would be 425,90 Euros and 845,30 Euros respectively. Together with our normal (predicted) costs we would need about 680 Euros for the upcoming 6 months or 1353 Euros for the upcoming year.

Donations
Since we (the admins) are just mere students, we don't have that money readily available. Because of this we would really appreciate any donation made to the BlackIntel fund. Even small amounts are really helping us out here, because every Euro you're willing to put in is one we don't have to put in. This may sound a bit cheeky, but let me explain. There are only 2 admins and there are a lot more people enjoying BlackIntels services in one way or another. If a lot of those people would donate even just a little bit it would already make a huge difference in costs.

Gameserver rental
Another way you could help us out is by renting a gameserver or some webspace from us. This would benefit both parties as it reduces the costs of the server that we'll need anyway. We have rented out to external parties before, but that was mostly Renegade related and those parties have left the Renegade scene, so didn't need their servers anymore unfortunately. So if you or someone you happen to know needs something like this, please do contact us.

Some numbers
All these numbers are since 2006.
Total costs: € 4.480,39
Total donations: € 3.987,50
Total rental: € 544,55
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

Trace

• Honorary Ex-Staff
  • Havoc
Re: Battlefield 3 and much needed donations
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »

Not likely to go play BF3 and I don't really play or use anything else on the blackintel servers, but will donate something next month ;)
To all the others, try to see if you can miss something too. Every small bit helps more than nothing!
[23:58:41] <~EvilWhiteDragon> I want to go to town and get drunk
[23:58:53] <~EvilWhiteDragon> why wont any of my friends answer my sms
[23:59:15] <Trace> cuz u dont have any friends?
[00:02:12] * You were kicked from #BI-Moderators by EvilWhiteDragon (FU)

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »

Of course we are going to shutdown BlackIntel

No, it just means we won't get a BF3 server if the funds aren't there.  Having a server, especially if we get get it popular at first release, will help hugely in increasing the BI Clan, Community, and hopefully our financial situation.  Having a larger clan, larger community, and more funds, could also end up helping our other projects (having guys that join us for BF3 coming to play FS, for example).

Five Euros paid by someone, is five Euros less that the admins have to fork out.  Five euro's may not be a lot, but when ten people donate 5 each, admins are 50E less in the red.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:24:50 pm »

And here I said I would donate but didn't make a move on it (like soon after I joined BI). Wow. I suck. Help is one the way from me! Seriously. Max three days. Probably today.

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:10:05 pm »

Guys, let it be clear that we don't have an immediate problem, but as Gwynzer said, having a BF3 server will probably help out a lot in order to get new members. New members are needed to keep BlackIntel alive in the long run.
"It is important to find a balance. It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games." - Only one line of cocaine a day, dear son!

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:16:18 am »

Ok, this is quite poor so far. Only 2 people donated for a total amount of ~28 euros effectively (due to paypal fees :()

bloodynoob

• Patch
  • hurpa derp ?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:18 am »

paypal ? seriously ?

Gwynzer

• PS2 Game Leader
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
  • BloodyNoob Handler and Mating Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

There are other options, but that's easiest for most people.
Quote from: TK2 Ban Policy
ur gut feelings are good enough.

Quote from: Ren BI1
Gwynzer@IRC: PENIS
shippo: sigh
lavakill: he always ruins everything

EvilWhiteDragon

• Founder
  • Staff
  • Mammoth Tank driver
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:43 am »

That, and I prefer not to have my bank details floating about the web. If you want to do a bank transfer, contact me. It's cheaper, at least within the EU.

April 29, 2024, 12:08:09 pm