Not logged in

Please login with username, password and session length or register.

Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slyfox Reviews: Battlefield 2142  (Read 15591 times)

Slyfox

• Medium Tank driver
  • Jedi Master
Slyfox Reviews: Battlefield 2142
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:49 pm »

Next review: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
http://forum.blackintel.org/general-discussion/slyfox-reviews-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/

Hey guys, I'll be starting up a weekly whenever I feel like it review on video games I've played throughout my life. And my bad if it isn't organized, spelled correctly and stuff, I'm not a professional. Here goes.

Battlefield 2142 is a sci-fi FPS developed by Digital Illusions CE and produced by Electronic Arts, released in 2006. If you don't know about the Battlefield series then I feel sorry for you.  :o

Plot: Uh, there basically isn't any. Next ice age is coming (it's the year 2142, title says it all) and it's a war about survival and moving into the warmer countries of earth. It pits the European Union against the Pan Asian Coalition. Basically, it's pretty much Americans (or poorly voiced Europeans) vs. Russians. So lame. The Cold War is way past. Get over it already. And that's all you need to know before you hop in the game to start shooting people with various cool weapons.

Gameplay: There are two teams, which I previously mentioned, who fight across maps pretty much around the world, though it's usually set in Europe and Africa. The goal is to capture all control points, or bleed the enemy out of tickets.

There is a special mode called Titan where you have to destroy the enemy's giant floating warship of sorts. You do so by capturing various missile silos that fire a missile at it every two minutes. Once the shields are down, you can either board the Titan and destroy quickly from the inside, or you can play it safe and keep the silos under your control and slowly wait for the Titan to explode. You have to be careful, because you have your own Titan to defend. Titans can provide air-to-ground support, are a spawnpoint, and can fly at a snails pace above the terrain.

Vehicles are all balanced. Though there are cosmetic changes and some small differences in terms weaponry, each side has the same thing, although the booster pack Northern Strike introduces two different vehicles, one for each side and they are used in very different ways. Vehicles are easy to use, and spell death for infantry. Combine that with rechargeable shields that last five seconds upon being activated and block all enemy fire, they are very hard to take down with anything except other vehicles. On most maps, there are too many vehicles for infantry to have a lasting effect. Overall, the vehicles are just overpowered.

You have four classes that are VERY customizable, the assault medic, the recon, the engineer and the support class. Each are effectively used. Weapons for the most part are balanced, except for a few exceptions, and fun to use. They are somewhat inaccurate though. Seems like the weapons went downhill, in terms of functionality, from those of today...

Maps: There is a rather large amount of maps, but most are vehicle friendly. Meaning, huge pieces of land which are nigh impossible to go across without some sort of transportation. Also meaning vehicles spawn all the time, which is a huge pain for infantry. 2142 is mostly about tanks. You do have a select few maps though that have a good balance of vehicles and infantry, and those are a blast to play.

Overview: This game is was a lot of fun, despite some rather large balancing issues for vehicles vs. infantry stuff (Battlefield: Bad Company 2 strikes a very nice balance with that), this game is was a blast. DICE/EA really neglected it. Patches didn't come out often, the last one took over two years to come out. I believe DICE wanted this game to die, since it wasn't as popular as some others. When they released the final patch, they made no announcement. Just a small forum post or something, and you had to look for the right patch on teh normal interwebs (i.e. not on any official news page or anything, various download provider thingies), which was difficult for some. There actually was and is a lot less people playing with the new version, than there was before.

Well, I put in over 200 hours into this game, and it was fun while it lasted. All that's left now are a bunch of n00bs who cheat and don't have any sense of fairplay, and servers with bad settings (no team damage, don't get me started on those RDX whorers and bunnyhoppers) and only one map.

Score, in it's good ole days: 90%
Current score: 65%

And man alive, this review is utter trash. I suck at it, but oh well, gonna do more.  ::)

EDIT: This is mostly a multiplayer game, no campaign, and bad singleplayer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:08:00 pm by Slyfox_Elite »

bloodynoob

• Patch
  • hurpa derp ?
Re: Slyfox Reviews: Battlefield 2142
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:46 pm »

i kinda skipped most of the part but its nicely writen better then any review sites out there

March 28, 2024, 08:09:39 pm